Thursday, March 3, 2011

CEd0565 Leadership Week Four

Chapter 5 of our textbook, Motivational Leadership: Building Climate and Community, lists mainly methods that I like; on the other hand, I'll discuss the ones that I have a difficult time doing as a leader.

Although I agree that "A climate of trust and respect must be established and nurtured," and that "support[ing] teachers in their personal affairs" is important, among other things, I have a difficult time buying such things as Hawaiian shirts to show support. I also have a difficult time hugging co-workers, men or women. (The situation better be a death or something tragic before I hug someone. It's rare when I do that, except with the members of my family.)

I agree that supervising in the hallway is important, but I find it difficult to watch the hallways except for maybe a minute before the bell rings. This is because I'm often putting equipment away from the previous class that has turned it in and then getting additional equipment ready for the next class. Time between bells turns in to a mini and necessary prep time, and this even though I've done my major prep-time starting almost 1 hour before my first class.

I don't think I would become "stagnate" if there was no professional development, but I do learn from the ones we've recently had, such as the CRISS Project. I'm constantly evaluating and trying to update my lessons, especially for the technology related ones: Media, Video/Film, and Broadcasting. Of course technology advances so quickly that one needs to constantly update the content and thus the methods just to keep pace.

Throwing a year-end party is a tough sell for me. There is usually so much going on that a party would just be one more thing on the "party plate."

1 comment:

  1. Lenn, your views are interesting. A big thing right now in our middle school is being out in the hallways right after class is over, until the next class starts. I teach different classes throughout the day so I'm with you on it is kind of like a mini prep to get the new materials ready for the new class. I do see an improvement in the halls when teachers are out there, sometimes it is hard to do that though. I also agree with you that I do not think I would become "stagnate" if I didn't go to any professional development, I would use my own time to read blogs or feeds to get up-to-date information about what I teach and what is good for students, but I do feel that no all teachers would take the time to do that. Interesting points you brought up to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Starting in 1979, I have 10 years of full-time professional lighting experience for film and television; the majority of the experience is mainly television. I’ve probably lighted every situation possible from commercials to promotionals, news stories, talk shows, and an assortment of other genres or story forms. Since 1990, I have kept my lighting skills sharp by lighting part-time on a freelance level. At the same time, I have also periodically lighted theatrical venues on a contractual basis. From 1979 and until early 2009, I was an I.A.T.S.E., Local 18 member.