Friday, March 11, 2011

CEd0565 Leadership Week Five

I practice much of what is mentioned in chapter 6, which my principal also emphasizes. I will high light some of those items that stand out to me.

The quality of the teacher, the quality of the program, and the strength of the leadership better ensures success (Gabriel 124). Modeling bell-to-bell instruction makes use of all the time (125). Teachers with consistent procedures where a period is broken up into 2 or more blocks are the most effective (128). Curriculum maps (also CFAs and CSAs are important) for consistency from grade to grade and subject to subject (129). "Work should pose an intellectual challenge, not an intellectual obstacle (133). Differentiation and tutoring methods and programs are necessary to reach as many students as possible (133-135). Although I don't have a specific unit on teaching study skills, I do allude to it when the time is right, which the text talks about (137). Making the work meaningful is probably one of the most important quests and challenges that teachers have; it know it's mine (138). Homework is important, and it is good to start it in class, which I do about 50% of the time (140). I now see that creating incentives is important in that I need to notice the options I give students in the first place; I should use the options as motivators to be earned or awarded for correct performance (140). [I tend to dislike games, at home and school, but maybe I should learn to like them if I intend to use them as incentives.]

"Exit cards, quizzes, conferences, projects, portfolios, and anecdotal notes can be more useful forms of assessment because they can indicate what a student needs in order to be successful and can enhance the potential for success, whereas a unit test will only corroborate our impressions (146--147)." [I feel the quote says it very well. That's why I didn't change it.]

Cheating is a problem. That's why I try to place them at every other seat (148).

I'm trying to view data collection positively, but I'm going to need to work on that one for awhile (154).

1 comment:

  1. Len,
    It sounds like you are doing many great things in your classroom already. I really would give games a chance if I were you. It can be extremely motivating and "tricks" kids into learning. They often don't think they can be learning if it is fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Starting in 1979, I have 10 years of full-time professional lighting experience for film and television; the majority of the experience is mainly television. I’ve probably lighted every situation possible from commercials to promotionals, news stories, talk shows, and an assortment of other genres or story forms. Since 1990, I have kept my lighting skills sharp by lighting part-time on a freelance level. At the same time, I have also periodically lighted theatrical venues on a contractual basis. From 1979 and until early 2009, I was an I.A.T.S.E., Local 18 member.